Welcome to the Violinworks website
This is the companion website to the Violinworks publications.
Violinworks, published in two volumes by Oxford University Press, is a comprehensive violin method for older beginners and improvers. Click here for further information about the Violinworks books.
“These volumes represent one of the most comprehensive resources I have come across. A violin method for the older beginner, they include all that is required from the very beginning to around grade 3 standard. Either used alone or with a teacher, all the information is there for self-learning. A wide range of repertoire is included, from traditional music, jazz and well-known classics. Exercises, tips and advice are interspersed at the right junctures to ensure a basic technique and good habits, developing confidence in pitch, rhythm and tone. Support material includes accompanying CDs of professional, stylistic performances, with video clips and additional resources on a dedicated website, together with downloadable PDFs of piano accompaniments. Here is the ultimate ‘go-to’ resource for anyone learning or returning to the violin.” – Mary Nemet, Stringendo (Australian String Teachers’ Association magazine), October 2017
“These two volumes by the British violinist and composer Ros Stephen are truly aimed at beginner violinists, offering a non-academic approach to learning the instrument . . . The books are beautifully laid out with plenty of space, creating a rare ‘read-me’ feel. . . these books are a brilliant guide to playing, and offer a beautifully explained ladder of what to introduce when. Violinworks is a marvellous resource.” – The Strad, September 2017
Click on the links below to order your copies of Violinworks from the Oxford University Press website:
How to use this website
If you already have a copy of Violinworks:
- On this website you will find demonstration videos, backing tracks and lots of additional advice to support you as you work through the books.
- Click on ‘Videos and tutorials’ in the menu: you’ll find hundreds of demonstration videos, arranged by chapter.
- Click on ‘mp3 backing tracks’ in the menu: you’ll find backing tracks for all the pieces in the books, arranged by chapter.
- You’ll find performance tracks and printable PDF piano accompaniments on the CD that came with the book.
- If you have any questions about anything in the book, or if you’re stuck on any of the exercises or pieces, please feel free to email me: question-at-violin-works.com (replace -at- with @). Please include the title of the section and the page number in your email.
If you don’t have a copy of Violinworks:
- You will find lots of useful information on this website, but you’ll get the most out of it if you work through the Violinworks books at the same time, as the site is carefully structured so that it can be used in conjunction with the books.
- In the books you’ll find the sheet music for all the pieces and exercises demonstrated on this website, plus many more pieces, technical, aural and improvisation exercises, a CD of performance tracks, and printable PDF piano accompaniments.
- Click here to order a copy of Violinworks book 1 and get started!