See below for video demonstrations of the 4th finger notes on all the strings; see page 73 of Violinworks Book 1 for notation and further advice. Please click here to order a copy of the book.
- The first video is taken from the side: notice that my wrist and hand remain still while the 4th finger lifts and drops from the base knuckle.
- The second video is a “violinist’s view”, to show you what the finger movement looks like from a player’s viewpoint.
- The 4th finger notes on the G, D and A strings are the same pitch as the open string above – use the open string to check your intonation.
- Remember to open out all the spaces between your fingers when reaching up for the 4th finger: see page 73 of Violinworks for more advice on this.
- There is a useful exercise to practise widening the hand from the base joints here.
View from the side: